Entertain in your own winter wonderland and add warmth and seasonal style to your home with these simple holiday lighting tips
- Add color and glitz. At holiday time be bold; there can never be enough. Add a blast of color with a colorful table lamp in soft and warm gold or luxurious color. Also, look to a shade with beads or a romantic fringe shades to complement holiday decorations.
- Accent, accent, accent. Small accent lights are a perfect solution to spruce up a buffet table or brighten a hallway for entertaining.
- Do the unexpected. Put lighting in unconventional places for a fresh look. Or add a unique fixture to achieve new lighting effects and a new room atmosphere.
- Holiday energy efficacy. The more strings of holiday lights you use, the more power you'll use. But whether you use only one light string or many, you'll be rewarded with a lower power bill if you use energy-efficient lights.
- Safety first. Use only holiday lights that have been certified by Underwriters' Laboratories (UL) or another recognized testing agency. Check each set of lights carefully for any signs of socket damage, frayed or scorched wire, loose connections or damaged plugs. New light strings have fused plugs and are preferable to older types that lack fuses.